Monday, December 16, 2013

Blesséd be the Name of the Lord


The Lord gave; the Lord has taken away; 
blesséd be the name of the Lord. (Job 1:21)

 A man's best utterances often com in times of deep distress and trouble.  So it was with Job:  he had it all; then he lost it all: not just the material things of this world, but also his family and health.  I suppose that Job was as miserable as a man can get.  But in that hour, he declared three of the basic truths of life which, if a person knows them and lives by them, he is a wise person:

 First, The LORD gave:  Whatever I have in possessions, family, health - and certainly whatever I have in grace - is a gift of the Lord.  My home, pantry and automobile are the Lord's gifts.  My wife and children ‑ all from His bounty.  My good health ‑ a favored gift.  So with faith, righteousness, and eternal life.

 Second, If I ever lose these things, it is by the work of the same LORD.  What He gives in spiritual matters is never recalled, for the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.  But, concerning the things of my natural life, let me remember that since they were given to me by God, He has the right to recall them at any moment. And further, let me learn that if He recalls some natural blessing, I may diminish the pain of the loss by realizing that the taking away was accomplished by the same loving Father that gave, so it must be for my good.
          

Third, whether giving or taking away, the LORD is blesséd.  Let us not be like the pagans who judge the value of their gods by their temporal happiness.  Jehovah is worthy of worship at all times and in all circumstances.  He is as glorious when I am sad as when I am happy.  He is as blesséd when I lose as when I gain.  Blesséd be the name of the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment